St. Mary of the Angels Church was founded in 1918 as an Anglo-Catholic parish in the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles. Fr. Neal Dodd, our founding rector, was moved by the Lord to address the spiritual needs of the fledgling Hollywood motion-picture community.
His mission work met with much success, and in 1930 our present building was erected. In the 1950's and 1960's, the second rector, Fr. James Jordan, established a national reputation for St. Mary's as one of the country's leading centers of Anglo-Catholicism. In 1971, Fr. Jordan unexpectedly died of a heart attack and was succeeded by Fr. John Barker months later who was then succeeded by Fr. Gregory Wilcox in 1985.
The parish is part of the Diocese of the West, Anglican Church in America and under the direction of Bishop Owen Williams.